Wednesday 18 September 2019

What if I’m Too Late?

In Luke 12, as Jesus speaks to “an innumerable multitude of people” (v. 1),he issues solemn warnings and teaches important spiritual truths. Then one from the crowd says to Jesus, “Teacher, tell my brother to divide the inheritance with me” (v. 13). This has nothing to do with what the Lord had been talking about and is a selfish, materialistic, trivial request. Jesus seems a bit irritated as he responds, “Man, who made me a judge or an arbitrator over you?” (v. 14). Now one day all will stand before his judgment seat, but here the Lord refuses to get caught up in worldly affairs, so he looks beyond this self-centered individual and again addresses the crowd: “Take heed and beware of covetousness, for one’s life does not consist in the abundance of the things he possesses” (v. 15). This, then, prompts him to share a parable.

The Rich Fool

“The ground of a certain rich man yielded plentifully. And he thought within himself, saying, ‘What shall I do, since I have no room to store my crops?’” (vv. 16b-17). Well, beyond talking to himself, he could have thanked God for his abundant blessings (cf. Heb. 6:7). He could have offered the firstfruits of his increase to the Lord (cf. Prov. 3:9-10). He could have donated the excess to the poor (cf. Acts 20:35). But apparently he was too self-absorbed to think this way.

So he said, “I will do this: I will pull down my barns and build greater, and there I will store all my crops and my goods. And I will say to my soul, ‘Soul, you have many goods laid up for many years; take your ease; eat, drink, and be merry’” (vv. 18-19). The problem here is not that he was preparing for the future (cf. Prov. 6:6-11). The problem is that he seems to have had no consideration for God or for anyone other than himself.

“But God said to him, ‘Fool! This night your soul will be required of you; then whose will those things be which you have provided?’ So is he who lays up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God” (vv. 20-21).This man, despite his great wealth, was impoverished toward God because he was earthly focused, selfish, and spiritually unprepared.

What if I’m too late? It’s because I’m earthly focused, even though the Bible says, “Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth” (Col. 3:2). It’s because I’m selfish, even though the Bible says, “[love] does not seek its own” (1 Cor. 13:5b). It’s because I’m spiritually unprepared, even though the Bible says, “Behold, now is the accepted time; behold now is the day of salvation” (2 Cor. 6:2b).

The Vineyard Workers

The following year Jesus was across the Jordan and tells another parable about a landowner employing laborers for his vineyard (Matt. 20:1-16). Those hired early in the morning agree to the customary daily wage, whereas others recruited throughout the day end up receiving the same amount. From a worldly point of view, those who labored for the shorter periods were in a favorable position compared to the ones who worked the longest. But from the heavenly perspective, what a blessing it is to serve God on earth for as long as possible! The later in life one puts off obeying and serving Christ, the more he or she misses out on what is truly worthwhile. 

George Bailey (the gospel preacher) observed that many people waiting to be saved at the 11th hour die at 9:30. What if I’m too late? I miss out on immeasurable blessings both in this life and in the age to come (Mark 10:30).

How Can I Ensure That I’m Prepared for Eternity? 

Listen to the word of God, receptively and responsively (Rom. 10:17). As faith takes root in your heart, acknowledge it (Rom. 10:8-10). Recognizing you have been traveling down the broad way of destruction, turn around in God’s direction and forsake your sinful ways (Rom. 2:4). Be baptized into Christ’s death—buried and raised with him to be freed from sin and begin a new life (Rom. 6:2-18), then keep walking in the right direction with the rest of God’s family (Rom. 8:1-5).

Unfortunately some want to dilute the gospel and make excuses. Maybe you’ve heard someone say, “What about a person on his death bed who can’t get up to be baptized? Surely the Lord will save him anyway.” But this is an emotional argument, not a biblical one. No hypothetical (or even real) situation changes or cancels out what the Bible says. If, for example, the Lord says, “He who believes and is baptized shall be shaved …” (Mark 16:16), who am I or anyone else to say, “He who believes and is not baptized shall be saved”?

If the one on his deathbed is 90 years old, what has he been doing the past 90 years? The Lord promises, “Seek and you will find” (Matt. 7:7b). If the 90-year-old man on his deathbed hasn’t yet found the truth or obeyed the truth, apparently he hasn’t been searching. Irrespective of this or any other tragic scenario we might imagine, it doesn’t affect what you and I have the opportunity to do right now.

In 1 Cor. 15:9 Paul reminds his readers of his own sinful past. “For I am the least of the apostles, who am not worthy to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God.” But when the Lord offered him the opportunity to learn the truth and have his sins forgiven, he responded immediately with obedient faith,then spent the rest of his life serving the Lord and showing his appreciation. “But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me was not in vain; but I labored more abundantly than they all, yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me” (v. 10).

How will you respond to the Lord’s invitation? Life is short and uncertain. Jesus is returning at an unexpected time. What if I’m too late? Don’t wait to find out!

--Kevin L. Moore

Endnotes:
     Unless otherwise noted, scripture quotations are from the NKJV.
     “For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?” (Matt. 16:26); “but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven …. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also” (Matt. 6:20-21).
     Acts 9:5-18; 22:16.

*Prepared for the summer series at Henderson church of Christ, 14th August 2019.

Related PostsHypothetical Faith

Image credit: https://www.menshealth.com/trending-news/g19525796/7-things-every-young-guy-worries-about/?slide=1

No comments:

Post a Comment